Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Seven Whole Months and a Confused Mother Trying to Balance Her Life

Summer was born seven months ago today. I'm amazed how fast these months are going. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see her monthly posts so close together.

I know these monthly posts are so unoriginal, but I feel like I really need to do them because this is as close as I get to a baby book. I have to do something to remember her when she's little and all her milestones.

And speaking of milestones, Summer finally crawled. Not really, though. She did one crawl-step and then plopped down on her tummy again. She has her army crawl down and she goes really fast when she does it. Plus she's been rocking on her hands and knees for over a month now, so it's about time she just give it up and crawl like all the other babies are doing. Wow, look at what a great mom I am, encouraging my child to hop on a bandwagon. Summer won't have any issues, I'm sure.

She loves to get under the exersaucer, and because she's too young to understand when I'm laughing at her I get a good endorphin boost when she tries to get out.

Clearly, Summer gets her amazing muscle tone from her dad:


These were taken a couple of weeks ago.



Okay, Summer, can you get out?


Okay, arms out. Now try the legs!


Hey, little one, you have to use your right arm.


Nice.

And these were taken today. I know this is a ton of exersaucer pics, a plethora really, but I just find my baby adorable, and I know there are grandmothers looking at this blog who love to look at this girl's mug almost as much as I do.





Mmmm, I swear she's usually wearing pants.

I have conflicting feelings about being a mother. I really don't feel like I'm very good at it. I enjoy my life, but sometimes I feel like Summer just tags along with me while I go about my business. I always planned on being a very proactive, involved mom, even when my kids were really young. And I was, to a fault, until it drove me crazy and my life collapsed around me and Nathaniel told me that Summer really didn't need all the attention I was giving her. I think now I've gone into the other extreme.

I just don't know how to keep the house clean and feed my family and work and do the little hobbies I want to do and have a relationship with my husband and be a good friend and good member of the church and be a good sister/daughter and take care of a baby. When I look at the list, I think something's got go give, but there's nothing I want to let go. I remember a lesson by a former bishop who asked us to draw a little pie chart and put in it all of the different commitments we have. In that chart, we were to put how well we thought we were doing in each area.

Bishop Klein said, "You're never going to have 10s in every one of these areas. In fact, you probably shouldn't. If you have an eight in every one, you're doing amazing. Most are going to be fives or sixes." Or something like that.

That's pretty much what I had. I went from feeling like a failure to feeling like I was doing okay.

Now, I feel like a failure. I just look around me and it seems like everyone is able to do so much more than I do. I really think they're just more efficient with their time. Just now, it took me four hours to make dinner and that doesn't include washing the dishes. It's so hard for me because I can't keep my focus on something with a baby in the background, so I constantly have to re-group and remember what the crap I was going to do with the frozen vegetables and knife that are sitting on the counter.

So how do you do it?

7 comments:

Amy December 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

I don't do it. I can't even imagine trying to raise a 7 month-old right now. I admire the heck out of you and I think that you are awesome. Way awesome. And I love Summer's cute little face so much!

Tess December 3, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

At the end of the day, you have a beautiful daughter that you get to care for. I saw a mom out with her jogging stroller yesterday and thought, "Wow, the kid in that stroller has nothing better to do than be his mom's shadow for the next however many years." And I truly thought about how fast that time must go. I say appreciate the time when she can't complain yet about you dragging her where you need to go. :) I know I'm really not in a position to offer mom advice, but one thing I love to remember is to enjoy the journey. You'll find a balance. And as soon as you do, something else will come along like a demanding calling or another baby or you'll move, and you'll have to start all over again. Now I'm just going to hit publish before I go back and erase all of this blabber. Love you!

Lexi December 3, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

I know how you feel! I read something really inspirational by Marjorie Hinckley that I'm going to do a post about. It's too long for me to leave it as a comment here. I loved the pictures, what a pretty baby.

Kami December 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM  

I think too often we spend our time on things that in the grand scheme of things are not really that important. We worry about things that don't really matter; not really so, don't stress about dinner and the house staying clean. It might seem like everyone else is able to manage a million task, but my guess is they really can't. I know I can't. Just do your best! I love being a mom and I can tell so do you! :) That's what really matters! Miss ya!

Kathleen December 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

For me, there are seasons of what things you do well (meaning focus lots of energy on)and when you have a baby, many other things go by the wayside. Now that my oldest is 25 years old, the state of my housekeeping 20 years ago isn't important but he still is. If I could do it over again, I'd make the kids more of a priority. Now,friendships and service outside my home have moved up the list because I don't have a baby anymore. (He's 5 and still keeps me running but it's different than a baby.) I wish you the best in your mommy adventure.

Anonymous,  December 6, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

Cute pictures. Beautiful baby.

My philosophy is...the first year is survival and after that it is mostly fun. There are many people who adore babies who will disagree with me, but I think talking and walking kids make motherhood LOTS more fun.

DOn't worry about the circles so much now because you have an extremely dependent person hanging out with you. The cadence and timing of life change all the time with kids.

After E. was born the dishes didn't get finished all the way for one whole year. But I did find time to garden and enjoy E. And those dishes....they are still moving in and out of the cupboards. That year of periodic neglect didn't hurt them one little bit.

cynthia

Annie and Berkeley December 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM  

This is what I relate to... "I constantly have to re-group and remember what the crap I was going to do". Thanks for the post. It is always refreshing to hear that other moms have similar struggles. Really though, you are doing great. I really admire how you handle Summer. You are very relaxed, fun, and trust me...you give her plenty of attention. I talked to my mom about feeling like I just drag Asa around while I do what I need and she said... "That's one of the main ways babies learn. They just observe and who better to watch go about daily business than their mom?" I thought that was a nice thought.