Saturday, October 31, 2009

I Saw Nie Nie

Well, sort of. Yesterday, As I was walking into Michaels to pick up some picture hanging thingies, out of the corner of my eye, I saw this coat:



(I stole this picture off her blog. I hope she doesn't get mad at me.)

Pathetically, I knew exactly who the owner was. It was Stephanie Nielson, of the Nie Nie Dialogues. I started reading her blog last fall, when her plane crash was all over the news (New York Times, Today Show, etc.). Some people might hate her blog; I'm sure the creator of Seriously So Blessed has looked to her blog for some satire-worthy material. She is always dressed to the nines, she loves vintage looks, her blog has a very low word to picture ratio, and, in her heart of hearts, Nie Nie loves being a mother. I think people love her blog because she has a knack for glamorizing the life of a stay-at-home mom, and what stay-at-home mom doesn't need a little of that every once in a while? Oh, and I really like her photography.

Anyway, I sort of always hoped to run into her and get the chance to tell her blog inspires me to be a good mother. But when I saw her plaid coat and her little red-headed daughter march to the custom framing counter, I knew I wouldn't talk to her. What was I going to do? Randomly walk up to the framing counter and ask questions I didn't need the answers to? Make a complete fool out of myself so I could say that I'd talked to Nie Nie? So I got my picture hangy thingies and walked to the check-out.

So that's the story. Below are my ramblings. Feel free to skip.

As I was standing in line, carrying Summer, I looked at all the other people around me in the busy store. All of them, I realized, were really just as special as Stephanie Nielson. I wished I was one of those people who had the guts/skills to start conversations with people in line (Nathaniel is probably very glad I don't, however). Before I could think of a way to brighten someone's day, it was my turn to buy my item.

Once, when I was standing in line at our local grocery store in Evans, Georgia, the checker, a young black woman, started singing. I was embarrassed for her, especially because the next person in line was a wealthy-looking old white man. The man, in his slow southern drawl, just smiled and asked, "You singin'? You've got a mighty pretty voice." She smiled back as she scanned his groceries and said, "Thank you," and then resumed singing.

Why aren't Utahns like that? Why am I not like that?

4 comments:

Amy October 31, 2009 at 9:45 AM  

Dorothy, you seriously just brightened my day with this post. Because I feel the same way a lot of the time about wanting to start random conversations with people but chickening out or coming up with an excuse why I shouldn't. And I love her blog too and I am not even a SAHM or any kind of mom. I think she has a zeal for life that translates broadly.

Kami October 31, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

I guess I'm out of the loop of things since I don't watch the news (I hate hearing stories of bad things that make me sad) so, I don't know who Stephanie Neilson is! But I really enjoyed your story of the lady singing! Thanks for sharing! Remember I think you are wonderful!

katydid November 1, 2009 at 1:50 AM  

Okay so this is totally random.. and I don't even know how I came across your blog.. But I totally relate to seeing NieNie! I saw her in Costco this last week--what inspired her last post, actually--and was like. Ahhhh. Would it really be that creepy if I went over and started calling each of her children by name and commenting that yes, Mr. Nielsen is an attractive individual? Yeah, I restrained myself. But that didn't stop me from pointing her out to the worker close by. Haha.

gurrbonzo November 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

No wonder you were excited! Talk about a brush with e-fame. And, the Georgia checkout line story basically rocks.