Saturday, October 3, 2009

Nathaniel is a Bum

I found my camera!

Where was it? Put away. I swear I looked there.

Yesterday, Summer turned five months old, which means that it’s been over five months since I’ve had a haircut. Nathaniel has a week-long break next week. Hopefully, I will get a haircut soon. But until then, I’m not the girl who is in desperate need of a haircut. I’m the girl with a signature long ponytail. If you’ve seen me lately, you know what I’m talking about.

But I digress. Summer. My baby. My sweet, sweet, daughter.

She eats. I wasn’t going to give her any food until she was six months old, for fear of allergies. But then, at her four-month appointment, the pediatrician basically said, “Go for it!” He said no dairy, nuts, citrus, or uncooked honey, but other than that, he suggested we just mash up whatever we eat and give it to her. Later that day, as I was eating the sweetest, juiciest, cold cantaloupe I’d eaten in a long time, I looked into her big, curious, eyes looking up at me. How could I resist? I took a tiny piece and mashed it in my hands and offered it to her. Of course, like any four-month old, she was elated at the prospect of stuffing something in her mouth. She didn’t look too sure about the new taste at first, which is understandable seeing as how before she’d only had breast milk, formula, plastic bags, clothing, diapers, wooden mixing spoons, etc. in her mouth before that. But she chewed (!), swallowed (!), and went for more. In the past month, she’s eaten apples, pears, peas, zucchini, carrots, peaches, grapes, pasta, beans, and her favorite: lentil soup. She hasn’t eaten solids every day, and usually only a finger full, but she’ll be a great eater soon. I’m sure.

She drinks too.

She rolls. One day, a few weeks ago, Summer just went from her back to her tummy, and she’s done it regularly since then. She is intensely curious about everything and if you’re holding her and she sees something she wants in her mouth, she’ll get it. She throws all fifteen pounds of her weight around very forcefully. Her rolling abilities come in very handy for satisfying her curiosity. Especially if I’m changing her diaper.


She smiles, laughs, giggles, and squeals. A lot. But I never get on camera, of course.

I wonder what it’s like to be five months old. I’m sure frustrating; I see that emotion in Summer’s face every time there’s a toy just out of her reach. It’s got to be confusing as well; I would hate it if I tried to get outside but was constantly thwarted by a window. But the newness of the world, the never-ending supply of textures, sounds, tastes, and sensations to fuel curiosity – that’s got to be pretty great. And having two parents who love her and would do anything for her? I bet Summer thinks life is pretty cool.

4 comments:

Kami October 3, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

Love the pictures! Summer is so cute! Being a parent is by far the greatest gift of all!

Amy October 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

Hooray for having a camera again. So if the camera was put away, what is with the packing tape in the freezer? And holy moly that girl is scrumptiously adorable.

Tess October 4, 2009 at 12:01 PM  

I love the tape in the freezer. :)