Monday, January 25, 2010

Just Breathe

Today was bad. Very bad. I had big plans to put off my work project and head to the store for some parchment paper, because I really wanted to make graham crackers and I needed parchment to do it. I planned to read my scriptures when Summer was taking her morning nap and then take off as soon as she woke up.

It didn’t work. Summer decided that rather than sleeping, she would just whine and cry and fuss in an exhausted, serotonin-fueled state. All day long. Thrice I attempted to let her cry herself to sleep in her crib, and thrice I failed.

What did this mean for me? No getting parchment paper. No earning money. No taking lunch to Nathaniel. Nothing but attempting to placate my child for hours on end in a 10 x 12 living room. And two and a half long hours of listening to my beloved child scream her head off.

If you haven't had the experience of listening to a baby cry for multiple hours in one day, I sincerely hope you never do.

As I lay on my bed, listening to Summer's cries, I wanted to sink into the mattress pad. I wanted to become the foam – no ears, no emotions, no screaming babies.

On days like today, I have to tell myself to just breathe. I have to tell myself that it’s okay to me frustrated and mad. It’s okay to feel inadequate and long for another life. Sometimes, things happen that make the life of foam look enviable, things that make you wish that you could check out of motherhood just for the day. But you can’t. And you wouldn’t, even if you could, because these days don’t last long, and really, life is actually amazing.

7 comments:

Paul W. Nash January 25, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

If I were still in UT I'd babysit Summer for you.

Lexi January 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

Wow, I'm SO with you today. Parker has an ear infection AND I have the flu. But do I get a break? No.

When I look at our cats lying around the house sleeping all day while I'm dealing with a crying baby, I wish I could be them.

Then on other days when we are doing something fun and we lock the cats in the garage, I'm glad I'm not them. Their life is actually probably pretty boring.

I bet foam's life is boring too.

Amy January 25, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

Oh, I'm sorry you had such a rough day. And I just read Paul's comment and don't I have a cute husband? He has a total crush on Summer.

Annie and Berkeley January 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM  

Yeah Dorothy, I agree. I have many many days like that. Days when motherhood just does not seem appealing in the least bit. Funny though that when I leave Asa for any amount of time, I am always anxious to get back to him...fussy (which is often) or not. Oh and when you have another day like that, drive down. I will have an apartment in a week and would love company.

Andrew and Brianna January 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

I'm sorry it was a bad day. I had a few bad days the other week and they are no fun. But still, I just have to point out that I love that you wanted to become the foam! You make me laugh! I hope today was better than yesterday!

Kami January 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

Life really is amazing! :) Motherhood is amazing too even on the bad days! :)

Anonymous,  January 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

It is days like this that you remember that motherhood is the great reminder that really we have little control over life, the universe, or anything. On the days without screaming babies...we can pretend we have more of a say than we do.

This is actually a cheery comment. It just doesn't sound like it. But it is. It invites flow instead of control. You know, a Zen moment.

Cynthia