Wednesday, April 21, 2010

For the love, please help!

Friends, please help me. Summer can get out of her high chair. I turn my back for three seconds and she is standing up, one leg out, attempting to get down. Either that or baby suicide. I don't know.


So I've been feeding her on the floor. I put some food on a plate, put it on the floor, and sit her in front of it. Once, when Summer was heavily distracted by an open refrigerator, I whistled to get her attention. Nathaniel promptly chastised me.

By the way, is there a real Mother of the Year award? Because I'm planning on nominating myself if there is.

Anyway, it turns out that feeding a child who is not strapped into a chair has significant disadvantages. When Summer got distracted in her high chair, it was no big deal, because the food was right in front of her and it always caught her attention again if she was hungry. But now? Now she can crawl away in the middle of a meal. And she does. She crawls everywhere. I've tried setting her on my lap and feeding her, but she'll eat a bite or two and then blow me off.
I'm going crazy trying to get this girl to eat. I used to think babies would eat if they needed it. If this were true, it would relieve a lot of stress in my life right now. Unfortunately, this thinking got me in trouble with the pediatrician.

So do y'all have any advice? Should I try rigging a belt that's stronger in place of the one she can get out of? Should I make sure she's starving before I try feeding her (I kind of think I'm doing that already, though). Should I feed her a diet of pizza and chicken nuggets? Help.

3 comments:

Paul W. Nash April 21, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

First, there is nothing wrong with whistling to get someone's attention. Also try snapping.

Second, have you considered duct tape? A couple wraps would probably be enough.

Haley and Mitch April 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

Not to add to the expense of your already expensive life (having Nathaniel in law school and all), but there are high chairs that have the shoulder straps. However, Ben has this same problem. He does it constantly. It's still a bit of a battle, but I just make sure that he has his strap on tight and the tray is fastened close to his chest. On a cheaper side, my mom has 2 high chairs at her house that seem to keep him trapped pretty well. One is the kind that hooks to the counter and the other is the kind that hooks to a chair - the reason they work so well is the strap. It goes around his chest and he can't wiggle out of it very easily.

Good luck! And I agree with the first comment - nothing wrong with whistling and Mitch loved the duct tape idea :)

Annie and Berkeley April 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

Industrial strength Velcro. A piece on her butt and a piece on the seat of the chair.