Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Confessions

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, right? Okay, here it goes:


I'm obsessed with baking and cooking.

Banana Cake with Mocha Frosting, and the most beautiful icing job you've ever seen.

Not all the time. This is kind of unusual. Generally speaking I like it, but these days, I can't stop. I think about it constantly. Every time I nurse Henry, I whip out my phone, go to Smittenkitchen.com, and hit the "Surprise Me!" button. It's crack, I swear. I want to make everything! I'm going to go to it right now. What recipe will it be? Lemon yogurt anything cake! It has blueberries! How can one resist?

Summer enjoying the Mocha Frosting: the cake was a little neglected

When I'm not nursing Henry, I frequently find excuses to sit and flip through my new favorite cookbook: Ready For Dessert by David Lebovitz. Well, honestly I only have three cookbooks now so it's not hard for it to be my favorite, but it's still really good. There isn't a dessert in there I don't want to make, but I've really got my eye on Orange Almond Bread Pudding with Tangerine Butterscotch Sauce. And Chocolate Gelato. And definitely the Apple-Frangipane Gallette. So far I have made his Fresh Ginger Cake, Banana Cake with Mocha Frosting, and Caramel Ice Cream, and they all are so amazingly good. And just now Summer and I ate the last of the mocha frosting with some of the caramel ice cream and it was heavenly. Maybe my favorite dessert ever. Or at least until I make Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Blueberry Compote. Doesn't that sound dreamy?
Caramel Ice Cream with Mocha Frosting--tastier than it looks!

Speaking of dreams, did I mention I dream about food too? I don't remember the dreams now, and even if I did I probably wouldn't blog about them because sharing the details of a girl's food dreams? If I saw someone else do that I'd probably think that person was a wee bit pathetic. Unless the dreams involved flying flower cupcakes or something, but I'm pretty sure mine are just "Dang, that spaghetti looks GOOD!"

Summer documenting her ice-cream-making activities.

So Nathaniel has taken note of my dessert obsession and suggested I channel it into making freezer meals, which is a brilliant idea, no? I've made freezer meals before based on Pinterest suggestions of taco soup and other Mormon-y meals like that, and it was a disaster. They were so gross. Oh, I still cannot believe I made tater-tot casserole. Why? Did I think that once I had a my second baby my taste buds would lose all sense of decency and totally go for deep fried potatoes on top of meat goo? I guess babies have made people do stranger things. But this time I'm being smarter and a) taking the recipes from a good source and b) trying them before making a triple batch. I know. I'm a genius.

This kid may or may not have snuck bits of all the desserts. He admits nothing.

So far I've made butternut squash bisque and spinach and white bean pot pie, both of which were big hits and I wish I'd made a triple batch, but hey, at least I'm not throwing away trays of food. I also made gnocchi, which didn't turn out so great because inconvenient stuff like giving my kids naps and administering medicine prevented me from making the gnocchi right when the potatoes came out of the oven. But my taste buds aren't so discriminating so they'll get eaten.

Gnocchi. I took a picture and blogged about it; ergo, it actually happened. 

So right now my big challenge is to stop thinking about the ingredients I have for Vanilla Ice Cream and Orange Pound Cake and Cheesecake Brownies, and start working on my new year's resolutions (of which I have many, and no, I don't consider myself a failure just because it's already January 16th and I haven't even started to do several of them). Or, if the new year's resolutions thing doesn't work out, at least I'll start working on freezer meals. Seriously, guys, wish me luck, or I won't be able to fit into my clothes anymore.

4 comments:

Alan January 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM  

I'm not seeing the problem.

There's no better hobby, in my opinion. You're already eating everyday, anyway. Why not enjoy it!

Of course, I'm not very objective about this, though.

I'm salivating over the recipes, though, especially the ice cream. And your expressive food model/taster makes these fun.

So, more food blogs please.

Dorothy January 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM  

Alan, going back and reading that blog entry for the fifth time I really wish you'd blog more often! Your photos are outstanding!

Marissa January 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM  

I knew I missed living by you guys, but this is just getting ridiculous. (Also, if you haven't tried them, Smitten Kitchen's pear scones are fantastic.)