Friday, November 6, 2009

Homemaking

I haven't been getting many hours at work because, well, I don't really know why. So I've been doing other stuff. It's been fun.

When I was in high school and college, I thought "homemaking" meant getting together with a bunch of old ladies and making crap like this:


I am proud to say that I always hated that aesthetic. I am not proud to say, however, that I got my ideas about interior design from a Baby Sitter's Club book. Remember the one where Kristi's mom marries a rich guy? You hire an interior designer, look through some books, pick out what you want, and then you're done. I'm also not proud to say that all my ideas about fashion came from the Baby Sitter's Club books, too, but that's another post entirely.

Sadly, I'm not joking about that.

Anyway, on my recent trip to Hawaii, my aunt Cynthia (technically Nathaniel's aunt but I claim her) gave me an entirely new perspective on the whole thing. Before, I threw random framed art on the wall and I was happy with our model home furniture. I figured I would just wait until I or Nathaniel started making some money and then buy a model room from Ikea or even hire an interior designer.

And then Cynthia came along. We flipped through some interior design magazine clippings she had in a binder and she encouraged me to find which ones I liked and figure out why I liked them. Later, she gave me a link to a design blog (design sponge) and I am hooked. One of the best things I read since I've been looking at this stuff--which has only been about a month now--is that too many people worry about whether or not stuff goes together. It's better to just find things you love and surround yourself with them.

I looked at pictures of beautiful rooms adorned with beautiful collections of plates, leaves, random artwork, etc. I asked myself what I love most and would want around me, and my thoughts went to my family.

Okay, before I show you what I did, a disclaimer is in order: I am not a decorator of any sort. I am not posting this because I recommend you do the same, but because it represents my discovery of a way I can make my life better and I'm excited about it. All right? All right.


I did this:



That picture makes it look so bad I want to laugh at it! I promise, if you came over you'd like it. It might not be your thing, but you'd like it.

As for me, I love it. The photos I picked out are my absolute favorites and I love the way the frames are very deep so it gives some interest to the wall. Or whatever.

It's not much, I know that. And it makes me wish we had a white slipcover for our couch. But still, I love that I figured out what I liked and went for it.

The whole idea of decorating is still intimidating for me. I always considered it as something that other people did or were good at. But I'm so glad Cynthia encouraged me to be okay with failure. I really do want this little Wymount apartment to be a place where I feel good and that I love, and I'm working on it. And, I'm so glad that the term homemaking doesn't necessarily conjure images of strange creatures with raffia anymore.


Yikes.

5 comments:

Courtney November 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

looks like fun! i love decorating... i think that's the thing i'm most excited for when we live in our own house someday. :)

Lexi November 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM  

Haha you summed up the homemaking stuff brilliantly.

Love YOUR decorating. Pictures of family (and friends) are the best.

Kami November 7, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

I love what you said, So true, surround yourself with the things you love. I love hanging up pictures of my family! I'm not the best decorator, but I don't think that matters much. I love my home and I love being there with my family and that's what maters most! :) I have to laugh at the Babysitter club book comments, because you and I use to read them all the time and remember when we try to start our own babbysitter club business?

Liz and Grant November 8, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

I have a wooden cow that would go great with your picture wall, it says, " families are for heffer" ;)
J/K I remember we had a ward once that actually made the "heffers". Totally agree, if you surround yourself with things that make you happy it will all eventually click and work together.

Noelle November 25, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

I want you to know that my fashion paradigm comes from the Babysister Club series too . . . Claudia was so cool . . . thank goodness the 80s are back, huh?