Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Amazing

I'm blogging about these lemon bars because I don't think anyone should go another day without knowing about them.


I have no desires to meet any celebrities because I imagine the conversation that Billy Corgan or whoever and I would have and it's always really, really, awkward. David Lebovitz is the exception. I'm reading his book, The Sweet Life in Paris, and I've been reading his blog since Nathaniel and I got an ice cream maker three years ago and I stumbled upon his amazing ice cream recipes. His writing is addicting: not only because it's about all my hobbies - baking, foreign languages, and France - but it also makes him seem like such an fun guy to chat with, despite his claims that he's best enjoyed at arm's length. And I admit, I love it that he's gay and he doesn't hate Mormons. Oh, and he was a pastry chef at Chez Panisse for thirteen years and has written several cookbooks, so you can always trust his recipes.

So when he tells me to put an entire lemon (minus the seeds) into my lemon squares, I do it. I don't need the comments from the blog post that say, "These lemon bars were DIVINE!" and "Finally a lemon bar that tastes like my fantasies," and "I'll never use another recipe." I just do it and feel so happy that I made something so beautiful and delicious. And that I only used one lemon that the juice of half of another lemon, instead of the four I usually need for other recipes. 

David's Lemon Squares. Mine looked just as good.


Here is the link. If you're going to make lemon bars, please just forget about your old recipe and use David's. (Yes, in my head we're on a first-name basis.)


5 comments:

Amy April 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

Dorothy - I did not believe. Or I did not understand. Then I read the recipe. I am a believer now even though I have not yet tasted these. Of COURSE you should use the entire lemon - why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before? I MUST make these. Only, Paul doesn't like lemon bars.... Good thing he teaches the deacons and I can make the lemon bars for them.

Dorothy April 20, 2011 at 1:50 PM  

Amy I'm so excited that you're going to make them! I absolutely loved seeing the chopped up pieces of lemon, throwing them into the food processor, and watching the food processor grind them into a syrup. An experience not to be missed!

Anonymous,  May 3, 2011 at 2:01 AM  

I testify that these are yummy! Thanks Dorothy for making them when you were here.

We loved having you here!!!!!!

Cynthia

Unknown May 5, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

I made them. But, I didn't really read his recipe, I just looked it over...and bought one lemon. But I needed the juice from a second lemon! I had a little bottled, and added some freshly squuezed orange juice. They worked...and they were good, but I think I needed to bake them longer. I still loved them...oh, and I left out some of the rind...it looked so thick! I had to! But thanks for a great recipe!

Dorothy January 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM  

Okay, you have to use a small-ish lemon. Otherwise it'll be too bitter and it won't really set. Sorry guys!