Friday, April 15, 2011

She Can Pray

Prayer is important. It's one of my favorite rituals - a time to stop and remember there's a lot to be grateful for, and a time to remember that God is involved in the details of our lives and is willing to help us every step of the way if we just ask. It's been really fun teaching Summer about prayer. I really wonder what exactly she thinks we're doing when we pray. Regardless, every night and before meals we pray. Sometimes we can get her to say it, feeding her the words and directing her attention to the good things in life. Sometimes, she'll say the whole prayer herself without help, which always goes: "Heavenly Father, thank you for this day. Amen."

Until last night. Last night, as we sat down for dinner, I asked Summer to say the prayer. She said, "Heavenly Father, thank you for this food. Thank you for the chicken, and the tacos, and the water, and mommy. Bless our bodies. Amen."

I think she was really hungry, because tonight when I asked her to say the prayer, she said, "The ball! I get the ball and I put it in my crib."

Eh, whatever. She's cute.

3 comments:

danniey April 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM  

So cute! I love teahing little kids to pray. Calvin seems to kinda be getting the hang of it. too. He likes going through and blessing everyone in the family. But lately, he has been blessing Steve and Blue from Blue's Clues too. Then he started blessing the iPod, Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, and other various apps. We're still working on it...

Unknown April 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

She is cute! I love it! What a great prayer!

Unknown April 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM  

That's one smart kid! Now teach her how to pray in Romanian.....and then teach me, because I forgot ;)