Thursday, April 7, 2011

The sad story of our camera and hair success!

On President's Day, we went to Idaho to hang out with Nathaniel's friends and go snowmobiling and live like cowboys. It was great fun. Nathaniel dressed Summer up in her snowsuit and she looked like a little purple marshmallow. He took pictures, and since then we haven't seen our camera. It's so sad. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to grab our camera and capture a memorable moment, like yesterday when Summer got into bright fuchsia nail polish at Forever 21 and decorated her face, hands, and tummy with it before I realized what happened.

However, we have awesome neighbors who are willing to entertain odd requests like "will you please take a picture with us and e-mail it to me?" It's not a favor I would usually ask for, but this was an important moment in our family history and I had to have photographic proof.

Summer and I were hanging out on my bed, and she started brushing out my pony tail. We were just talking, when she suddenly decided she wanted something. Eventually, she directed us to the bathroom where we keep her completely unused mini elastics. She picked up it up and said she wanted it!

I've always felt like a slightly sub-par mother (but not really) (but a teeny bit) because I never do anything with Summer's hair. Once I was determined to give her a pony tail so I captured her, held her in between my legs, and did my best. After about three minutes of intense screams and sobs (Summer's, not mine), I gave up.

Is it weird that putting a little elastic in Summer's hair in about ten seconds, with not hatred or terror but  delight and excitement from Summer, made me so happy? If I want to do her hair, I just need to put mine in an elastic and, because she's confused and has a lot to learn, Summer wants to be just like me! Yay!


Behold, Summer's hair:



Sure, it's a little crooked, but I was not about to take any chances with a re-do.


I promise I tried really hard to get Summer to smile. And yeah, I probably had too much fun with color fill and contrast. 

These pictures also make me think I should try to put myself together a little more. Maybe do something with my hair and wear something else besides black t-shirts.

Nah.

By the way, thank you so much for everything you all said about the miscarriage. I really felt a lot of love. You guys are so great.

3 comments:

Tess April 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM  

She looks adorable! I love it that she wants to be like mommy. And I can totally relate about the whole "slightly sub-par mother (but not really) (but a teeny bit)" thing, not with hair yet, but just about things that I know I should do differently but have yet to commit to actually doing it because I'm ok with how it is.

Your posts are always fun to read. I'm glad you borrowed a camera.

danniey April 7, 2011 at 1:01 PM  

Ha! As I'm reading this, I am wearing a black t-shirt. The sad thing is, I consider this one of my best shirts! Summer's hair looks great! But really, I think it looks adorable how it usually is, too. She's so cute she doesn't need it! I am also lucky that I have a boy and don't need to feel that pressure...

Haley and Mitch April 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM  

WAHOO!! Congrats on the haircut! I think it looks great! And I have an extra camera you are welcome to use until you can get a new one. Let me know if you want to use it and I'll bring it by.