Saturday, July 25, 2009

Mormon Housewife, J.D.


law school graduation, originally uploaded by sorahatch.

I have been having sleeping problems lately, so last night I read my entire blog. Apparently, my life is absolutely fascinating to me. But I noticed that if someone were to get desperate for something to do he or she would know that I have a husband, a kid, and Crohn’s disease, but not a lot else. So, random person, want to know something else about me? I have a law degree.

It’s not something I’m that proud of. I hate to have to say this, but every time I think about law school I am filled with regret. I started out at a really bad time. For some reason, when I got back from my mission, I was not the same student I was before I left. I had this ridiculous “I deserve a break” attitude. Also, most of my motivation for getting good grades was getting into law school. After I got in, I slacked. I didn’t realize, until it was too late, that law school grades REALLY MATTER, even if you don’t plan on working in a big firm. Also, just before my first year began, I got myself into an awful roller-coaster relationship that was more interesting than studying or figuring out how to master law school exams.

So I ended my first semester in the bottom half of the class. I got my work ethic back after I got married, but I could never climb out of the bottom half.

I rationalized that it was not a big deal. I mean, law school is filled with smart people. Being at the middle of the pack isn’t really a bad thing.

Except that when you know you didn’t try your hardest, your rank doesn’t matter. You will still always feel regret.

I’m still very glad I went to law school. My analytical skills could never have been as good as they are without law school. I know tons of cool, albeit random, bits of the law. With only one exception, my professors were awe-inspiring. I love the places that I worked throughout law school and my experiences there. And my class was chock-full of funny, smart, and kind people, many of whom I hope to remain friends with for a long time to come. These benefits of law school are priceless; well worth the sticker price of school, as well as any opportunity cost. And that is a lot of money.

But there’s the regret of not doing my best at such an important time. I can’t do anything about it now, but I can learn from my mistakes and not make them again. Summer is 12 weeks old today. I will never have a chance to be a mother to her when she is 12 weeks old again. So I will do the best I can with her every day while I strive to improve myself. And, hopefully, I can make some money so that I can start paying off that law degree.

3 comments:

gurrbonzo July 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

Bahahaha! Dorothy, you rock and added a lot to my law school experience and to our whole (awesome) class.

No one cares about your grades. Too many goobers did well to reliable judge anybody on their grades anyway :). And you had a LOT going on, friend. It's not pure laziness when you have engagements and unengagements, elopements, scary health problems that knock you flat on your back, pregnancies and awesomeness to worry about.

Dorothy for president!

p.s. the bar is lame.

Kami July 27, 2009 at 7:15 AM  

I haven't read your WHOLE blog, but I've enjoyed reading your blog. Your daughter is so cute! I'm glad to hear that life is treating you well. I am so glad we are back in touch! :)

ma tanner,  July 27, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

Dorothy, I was thrilled to get your comment about my blog. You really made my day. I was so excited to read your note. I think I met you in Provo once at a game - soccer? intramural or something like that? Jason introduced me to you. It is so nice to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to contact me. Jason got me started on my blog and then kept encouraging me until I got the blog going. I love blogging now. I tell all my friends to blog and that I'll teach them but so far none of them will take me up on it. I am so thrilled that you liked my blog - that is such a compliment! I'm on cloud 9 after hearing from you. Thanks so much. Did you see Jason's photography website too? He has become a really good photographer. Also, congratulations on law school. That is a great accomplishment regardless of your ranking. I'm sure you did the best you could given the circumstances. You look great and the baby is adorable. I'll have to check out your blog more later. I need to take something for a migraine right now. You are welcome on my blog at any time! Thanks again for making my day. Sheree (Jason Tanner's mom)