Thursday, July 9, 2009

A new place...and I need your advice


Nathaniel and I moved into Wymount Terrace a few months ago. Before I came to BYU, it was my dream to live in Wymount. Sooo nerdy, I know. I just thought it was the land of righteous marital bliss. Later, when I'd lived in Provo for, oh, about five years, I decided I'd rather live in a cockroach infested leaky basement than Wymount, where BYU rules reign supreme. And now here I am, and I love it. I don't love the fire-retardant carpet, the constant presence of maintenance crews, or the small space. But I do love the rolling hills, the smell of pine, the close proximity to campus and some friends, and a feeling of safety that I never got on the West side of Provo.

Behold:


Out the front door:



This is what we have out back:

On the side, facing our apartment:


On the side, facing away from our apartment:



Pretty, ain't it? But I hate that this happened:



I was so excited to have roses growing up our front window, but then one day they were all on the ground. I blame the grounds crew. I do not love the grounds crew.


Inside is another story. I still have lot of work to do. Take the living room, for instance. I like one side of it:


Sure, it's a little cramped with the armchair right there, but there really is no other place for it and I don't want to get rid of it only to attempt to replace it later. But here is the other side of the living room:


Yikes. I hate bare walls. I just don't know what to do with this white space, though. I am afraid to try to center something over the couch. I've never done it before. But I don't know if I could center the couch, either. Internet peoples, what say ye?

5 comments:

Paul W. Nash July 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM  

We need to come visit. That looks like a comfortable couch. We can even have one of those "trading spaces" experiences - we'll rearrange your place and you can pack all our stuff up for us!

camjackieward July 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM  

Center something according to the wall, not the couch. You may move the couch someday, then you will want whatever is on the wall moved.

Liz'n'Steven July 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM  

I say center something on the wall. Or center two-somethings. I'm still happy to help you mat something.

Unknown July 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Ah ha! I've got the perfect wall art for you right here : Timber?

JUST KIDDING! The placement of your couch was just a tad awkward but centering it would mean a cramped computer corner I'm guessing. As for wall art I'm agreed with everyone else; center it with the wall. One good sized framed print/poster/whatever or two medium sized pieces hung at staggered heights would both be aesthetically pleasing.

Anonymous,  July 19, 2009 at 11:40 PM  

Centering the couch would certainly help. Make a collage of pictures of Summer and the two of you, and hang other smaller framed treasures alongside it. I am enjoying seeing pictures of darling Summer and having a bit of a Deja vu as I so clearly remember seeing you during your first week of life!