Sunday, October 24, 2010

Adoption

I didn’t give up a baby for adoption.  I probably won’t adopt any kids.  But adoption is such an important part of my life that I can’t imagine where or who I’d be without it.

I know very little about my biological grandmother.  I know her last name.  I know she had red hair.  I know she passed away many years ago.  I know that she was in a mental hospital around the time my dad was adopted.   And I know that she made what I can only imagine was an unspeakably difficult decision: the decision to give my father up for adoption. 

My dad never shared my curiosity about his birth mother.  To him, he has a mom and a dad who both had brown hair, who were (and are) good strong Mormons of pioneer stock, who were poor but gave more love than I can fathom.  My grandmother adored children and took in those who needed her love and care.  My dad was one of those kids and was so blessed to be adopted by Elmer and Tressa Hatch, of Springville Utah.  Grandma and Grandpa Hatch gave my dad the blessing of being a Mormon, of examples of hard work and sacrifice, of love and kindness, of a happy childhood, of unwavering support and confidence, of adoring brothers and sisters, and, later, loving grandparents to his children.   They gave me the blessing of the opportunity to learn about the LDS Church, the blessing of their examples, my pioneer ancestry, and their love.  Because of them my dad is the amazing dad he is.  I can’t imagine what my dad’s life would have been like had he not been adopted.  I thank God for the red-haired woman who let my dad be raised by grandma and grandpa.

My mom did not have such a happy childhood.  When she was nineteen, she found herself pregnant and unmarried, with no chance to marry the father of the child she was carrying.  There was a woman - a kind and loving source of strength to my mother since she was a child -  who was LDS and who suggested my mom give the baby up for adoption through LDS Adoption Services.  My mother should really be telling this story.  Anyway, the point is that my mom started going to church to see how her baby would be raised.  Later, she was baptized.

I am so grateful to be a Mormon.  It is because of my faith that I have everything that is dear to me, and it is because of adoption that I have my faith.  So thank goodness for adoption.  

4 comments:

Alan October 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

These are interesting and wonderful things I didn't know about you. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown October 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

thats fascinating, sora. Thanks for sharing. Isn't it amazing how everything comes together? The Lord does work in mysterious and wonderful ways.

Kami October 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Thanks for sharing! I totally agree with Natalie...the lord does work in mysterious and wonderful ways. Your words really touched my heart today so thanks again for sharing.

Unknown November 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

I agree...thank goodness for adoption! I knew about your mom, but not your dad, and well, I love it! Adoption is one of the greatest blessings in my life, and I am so grateful for our wonderful birth mom! Thanks for posting this! You made my night!