Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Rules

In our house, we have rules.  They're not too strict, and they're not written in stone - or even written down, until now - but they exist.  And here they are.

The Rules:

1. Hot dogs, canned pasta, and boxed mac and cheese are not consumed here.  But ice cream, cookies, apple crisp, pie, etc. are encouraged.  By Dorothy and Summer.

2. No Disney.  Veggie Tales, Sesame Street, and Teletubbies are acceptable.

3. You may not mix up there, their, and there.  The punishment for breaking this rule is merciless teasing.
UPDATE:  I thought I fixed the theres, but apparently I didn't.  Feel free to tease me.

4.  Back up your argument with sound reasoning.  Logical fallacies, formal or informal are not tolerated. This includes the appeal to emotion.

5.  No eating outside the kitchen if you're under three feet tall.  There is no punishment for breaking this rule.

6.  No legalese or otherwise pretentious language.

7.  You may not exit the shower without drying off first.

8.  Be nice.  To everyone.  (We're working on this, especially in the contexts of driving and nursery.)

9.  Get the amount of sleep appropriate for your age group.

10.  Work hard, unless your name is Summer or you're having a bad day.

It's been so interesting to watch our little family culture develop.  There are so many rules I'd like to be there but are not, like "read lots and lots of books" or "never leave crap out on the kitchen counter."  I want to do a lot of things better and keep improving our family and develop great traditions.  But I like us, as imperfect as we are.  And, as silly as some of our rules are, I like them, too.

I'm curious - what are your family rules?

4 comments:

Emily October 20, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

or is it there, their, and they're?

i think you just opened yourself up for a round of merciless teasing :)

fun family rules!

Dorothy October 20, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

Uh, I saw that and changed it. I guess I changed it to the incorrect theres again! More proof that I am awesome.

Kami October 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

It is their, there, and they're. But don't worry I won't tease you! :)

Now you have me thinking about what our family rules are!

Anonymous,  November 1, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

Love your rules. I am going to adopt the "Work hard unless you are tired" rule immediately.

The rule Chad brought to our family is "clean as you go." Turns out that is a rule that has wonderful ripples down the road.

Cynthia